Friday, September 18, 2009

Mother Nature's Freebie!

I love when mother nature throws in a freebie for you to witness, enjoy, and inspire. The story of this little beauty starts like this...

This little yellow bucket was once the home of some yummy, and quite pretty lettuce we shared with Mari Moody from the Organic Growers Festival. We harvested, and enjoyed watching these little plants grow, and provide a tasty little treat every week. After four months those perfectly formed lettuce leaves, and plants, they were starting to get tall, gangly, and puny. Well, it was time to sadly take them to the mulch heap, leaving a yellow little bucket full of dirt. A day or two later I was about to chuck the dirt in our recycle dirt pile, when I noticed somthin' a sproutin'. Both Brint and I noticed that it was quite unique looking, and fast growing too. Thanks to the free rain, that little sprout grew into a little mystery plant. So now we were really curious... was this going to be just a weed, or was there potential for something greater. Brint and I both felt this little plant had a purpose. So we nurtured it, loved it, watered it when it needed it, and watched it continue to grow. Taller, and taller, higher, and higher into the sun it grew.
One day after a long days work, I noticed that our bird feeder was in desperate need of replenishing. We feed our birds only one type of seed. Before we only fed them a millet mix, but I noticed the weeds we got from the seeds that was spilled were just out of control. So we switched to this other "type" of bird seed. I took the bird feeder to garage and filled it up with the bird food. Took the feeder back out to the hanger which was on our deck. I placed the feeder on the hanger arm, then I turned around and was face to face with this new little plant, which had gotten even higher, but I noticed something different on the top. I looked at the top of this plant and there was something green and rounded at the top. I looked at the plant, then I looked at the bird feeder, I looked at the plant , then the bird feeder, plant, bird feeder, plant, bird feeder. Gasp...Hey... guess what was growing in our little yellow bucket...






Well now aint' that a kick in the pants. You guessed it it was a sunflower seed. What an amazing gift mother nature has given us. Now, I know what your thinking... It probably was just another one of those messy birds that scatter seeds every where. Still, that seed could have ricochet off the the side of the yellow bucket landing on either the Bar-B-Q or the deck floor. But that was not what mother nature had planned. It's amazing that things can live in the most trying environment, under stressful and barren situations, in the mean time people think your not much or worth it and should just rip you out. However, this little plant persevered through it all, headed towards the sun, and endured to the end. Now look what the beautiful out come is. Mmmmm... could this be a lesson to us all?? I am grateful to learn, grow, and shine along with this beautiful Sunflower!

2 comments:

Josh and Angela Juett said...

Hi im glad you have a blog. Hope that you are doing well.

Unknown said...

my kind of anniver. and my kind of day with my hubby. I have made it through 35 yrs this June. We sometimes thinks it was only yesterday ourselves. Ronnie and Carmen will leave for Japan in Nov. Kevin and Maureen have the twins any day now. Wow time flies. Have a great month. I hope to get back to church soon. Dad has been pretty bad and I can't get to church much, I did make it to the women's conference. It was great.