Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cheerio ...Here We Go!!

I just HAD to post what just happened. Brint and I had first decided to go home to California next year, seeing how I was getting home sick for the beach and friends. Instead, Brint came up with a brilliant idea. "Let's do something different, let's see something different. Let's go where we have always talked about, dreamed about". Where is that you ask, well no where better but the UK. We've been talking about it ever since we were dating.

So we have already been feverishly on the internet looking up flights, rail tickets, places of interest. We plan to go to Edinburgh ~ Scotland, London, Cornwall (Brint has family there), and Bath. Bath the place of my dreams. Bath, the place where Roman soliders once tread. Bath, the place where Jane Austen frequented. Bath, the place where beauty was in high court. Bath, the location of the Royal Crescent.

Well, I was looking at Bath online, and found a couple of places to stay. Now one of the major places to stay is a dream hotel. A place suitable for the Regency period, or even victorian period. This is a little excerpt from a hotel review ~"The Royal Crescent Hotel is an architectural masterpiece turned luxury hotel. Here’s the skinny on the setting from Wikipedia: “The Royal Crescent is a residential road of 30 houses, laid out in a crescent, in the city of Bath, England. Designed by the architect John Wood the Younger and built between 1767 and 1774, it is among the greatest examples of Georgian architecture to be found in the United Kingdom and is a grade I listed building.” Occupying two central buildings in the crescent, the elegant hotel lets guests experience a style of gracious living from a bygone age. Outside in the “secret gardens,” guests can indulge in a sumptuous Afternoon Tea. Dinner at the hotel’s Dower House restaurant is just as good. There are 45 guest rooms, each with their own character, appointed with authentic period carpets, furnishings, and fabrics.". If you desire to see more I urge you to go to their web site and feast upon the images and descriptions. http://www.royalcrescent.co.uk/

Anyway, for fun I requested a brochure, and completely forgot that I had. Until the other day. I went out to my mail box, pulled out the mail, and saw that there was a large manila envelope. I didn't look at it till I was half way down the driveway. I stopped dead in my tracks, and saw the postage mark where this envelope was from. BATH. It said BATH. As tears welled up in my eyes, I was realizing that I received a letter from bath. A letter, where a million letters had been sent back and forth for Jane Austen. Where a million letters of high society had been sent. And now I had first piece of correspondence from the place of my dreams.

I also had tears in my eyes, because this made the trip of our dreams even more real. I just can't wait. I was/am so excited about this piece of mail, I just had to take a picture and post about it. Please see them below!
Can you see the words Bath in the circle and the crown in the postage square ...just gives me chills!


Have you ever been to the UK? Do you have any pointers, or tips for the trip? We aren't going till April 2011, so we have some time to research it all out!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I am so jealous. YOu guys will have a fabulous time and with a year to plan it out, I am sure it will be brilliant. I love Jane Austen! You will get to see the wonderful countryside that inspired her wonderful works.