Monday, April 5, 2010

It has arrived!

My sweet, and dear, Uncle Bill passed away 2years ago in February. I have mentioned him in many a blogs. He lived in San Francisco all of my life. He's traveled the world more times than people go to the grocery store, bringing back MANY treasures from his trips. His design, decor, and ability to host a party would knock Martha Stewart's socks off!! He would say "It's all about the presentation!". His cooking would melt the mouth of Julia Child's, all the while being inspired by the foods he has eaten around the world.

He has given me the love of classical music, art, books, and gardens. He is my uncle (my grandmother's brother), my Godfather, and one of the most important people in my life. My mom and I are his only surviving heirs. When he passed, I flew out to California for his funeral, and to help my parents with his home and items. While there mom handed me a handful of blue sticker sheets, and said place a blue sticker on the item you would like to have. It was bitter sweet, because these were his cherished possessions, yet I couldn't wait to have them in my home. Each item he had I grew up with, listening to his travel stories while sitting on a certain chair, statuary and paintings he brought back from his travels that I would day dream about, and so on, and so on.

Anyway, bless mom and dad's heart, they (over the past two years) have lovingly packed all the items up and paid for a moving company to ship it out here to us. So the following pics are of the movers, and the progress of my house quickly filling up. A lot of the furniture has beautiful form, they just need to be either cleaned, reupholstered, and/or painted ....more blogs to come on that. The boxes are FULL of china, glasses, paintings, sculptures, books, european treasures, etc. There are a few items my parents surprised me with, that are not to my liking, that will go to those in need (like the couch, barstools, bookshelves.)This is a stressful blessing. It has only just begun.

Before cleared out library...


Before cleared out dining room...


As you can see a lot of my walls are bare, not painted, and not much furniture. I have been waiting to see what would go where, what colors to pick, what kind of flooring to lay down, and where to hang what. It's been a blank canvas for a while!

Then the movers arrived. Kevin, the driver, had a beautiful rig it was HUGE. For just driving cross country, it was so clean and shiny you could eat off it. Kevin was SOOOOOOO nice, as was his helper. They were so organized, and were able to off load in two hours. Not one thing was broken or damaged. All my neighbors came out, and cars drove by slowly to see what was going on. I am sure we were the talk of Candler! I love nosey southerners.

The truck was so big, I had to take it in two separate pics. Thankfully, half of the truck was empty. If the whole thing was full, I think I would loose my mind!



So here are the pics of my house quickly filling up!! Oh yeah, we got so many chairs we piled them up in the family room.


Getting fuller...





Here are some close up pics of the big items we received....












Whew ...then there are the boxes! I am going to go through them, take pics, inventory them, and blog so you can see what we got. As always, I look forward to your feedback, and ideas of what I can do with all these items we now have!

3 comments:

Shana said...

OH!!! I cannot wait for more pictures, it's like the best Chrismas Ever. Keep posting. ;o)

Michelle K. said...

Holy magoly! Can't wait to see how you organize it all and set up the house. It's going to feel like a totally different place when you're done. Have fun with this - it's what your uncle would want. I'm sure he's somewhere smiling down on all his treasured possessions, knowing that they're bringing you some joy. :D Love ya!

Remodelaholic said...

Hold on while i wipe the drool! You have some awesome pieces Dayna!